The most important thing in conducting business is not to maximize profit, but rather to minimize the risk. This was the conclusion carried out by scientific research [presented at the conference: A change in the condition of success, 2010]. Following this line of reasoning, I try to answer the fundamental question: How to leverage SEO research (using SEMrush software)? By minimizing the risk of making decisions. SEO Research using SEMrush solution, allowing better decision-making in terms of:
- Seeking answers to the question: How are our competitors advertised, and how do they gain customers-traffic on their sites?
- Find the answer to the question: Is our new product/business idea a niche market or not (in terms of organic searches)?
- Definition: Which of the ideas for a new product/business idea to choose (where is the biggest competition in the market for organic searches)?
Preparing to conduct SEO research
At the very beginning of a good decision-making process: make or buy? So to answer the question, do we want to conduct SEO research inside the company? Do we have time (limited resource) to accomplish this task or not?If it’s a one-time need, or you just want to check if this is right for your company – feel free to contact me, I will be happy to help.
The more reliable the SEO research the more the product will be promoted in the digital marketing channel. However, for a company conducting business with just several B2B clients, conducting SEO research may not produce tangible benefits.
Before testing, install the SEMrush software.Here’s the free trial: trial requires you to enter a card number, so if you don’t want to pay for the subscription, make sure you log out before it expires.
How do our competitors acquire customers-traffic on their sites?
Tools to use – SEMrush: Traffic Analytics and Domain Overview.
- This is like having access to your competitor’s Google Analytics.
- It shows all the most important information about their websites:
- Displays a list of keywords that lead prospective clients to their domains,
- Indicates which medium gives them the biggest traffic on their sites (paid), SEO activities, page positioning (organic), direct inputs (direct), redirects from links (referral), etc.
- Shows which pages have the biggest traffic (backlinks). We can use this by posting information about our offer there also.
Is our new product/business idea a niche market or not?
Tools to use – SEMrush: Organic Research, Topic Analysis, Keyword Gap
- It allows you to see how many potential customers are searching for your keywords and the competition in search results.
- We’ll find out how many people, on a monthly average, will search for information about the product that we want to bring to the market.
- How difficult is it to show up in the first 10 of the searching results and how can we generate organic traffic on this basis.
- How to describe our solution that will get to a large number of people easily. In most cases, from my point of view, it does not matter whether we call our product: “Management Tool” or “Management Software”- these are phrases very close to one another in the sense. However, this has a fundamental impact on the number of potential customers who reach us with these particular keywords.
Which of your business ideas to choose?
Tools to use – SEMrush: Keyword Difficulty
- Here we assume that the business idea is better than another if the solution has higher demand and less competition. In organic searches, this means a larger number of searches and a smaller keyword difficulty.
- With this solution, we can compare five keywords at the same time.
- Check the exact number of monthly searches and determine which one can take the highest positions.
- Of course, we do not assume that the only sale we will conduct is an online sale. Nevertheless, we assume that SEO research will give approximate results in terms of customer behavior in the rest of the channels. Accordingly, it is certainly better than the utilization of opinion polls (surveys) or making decisions based merely on intuition.